Let’s admit it. Selling a product or service is hard. But what is even more difficult is making that sale over the phone.
Not only are most people not interested in having a phone conversation, but many people simply don’t have the time.
So, what is the trick to making a sale successfully? How do you engage your prospective customers before losing their interest?
The good news is that while it might take some effort, there are many ways to optimize your persuasion in order to not only capture your audience but convince them to take advantage of your offer.
Seven Ways to Be More Persuasive on The Phone.
- Do your research. Learn as much as possible about the potential customer beforehand. In this case, knowledge is power and will help you to maintain an active and well-informed conversation.
- Humanize the conversation. Many people will be tempted to hang up the phone in the first few seconds of the conversation. One way to avoid that is to quickly personalize the call. Ask questions, and don't immediately start in with your sales pitch. Ask how their weekend was, or what they did. Don't be too friendly, however; keep in mind that the goal is to seem like a person and not just a voice on the other end of the phone line.
- Be upbeat. Nobody likes a downer. Since the customer can’t see your face, you are going to have to rely on your voice to convey emotions. Keep things always on a happy and enthusiastic level.
- Be direct and authoritative. You want to run the conversation, don’t let it get away from you. You want to be in control, and let the customer know that you are confident in what you are offering and knowledgeable about it. Avoid appearing hesitant or unsure of yourself.
- Make it exclusive. One way of persuading a customer is by making the deal exclusive. People are naturally drawn to offers that appear to be only available to a few special or chosen people.
- Make the most of FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out). Another technique to give people the fear of missing out. By letting them know that an item offered is limited, or a discount has an expiration date they will be motivated to not hesitate with following through on the CTA.
- There is value in silence. Don't overtalk. Remember, it's fine to stop and pause for a minute. Many people will start to feel uncomfortable, which is excellent since the best way for them to end the conversation is to take advantage of whatever it is that you are offering.
These are only some of the reasons why you want to ensure that you have people making phone sales that know what they are doing. One skilled phone conversationalist is better than ten inexperienced people making calls.
With Omni, you can provide stellar service for your customers through our Virtual Phone System. Omni allows your company to have a mobile landline with multiple extensions, an interactive virtual receptionist, intelligent call forwarding and more! The best part is, there is no hardware installation and you can cancel anytime.